HirShabelle President Mohamed Waare has appointed a 13-member ministerial committee and regional governors to spearhead relief efforts following the flooding in Beletweyne.
A decree from the President said the 13 ministers will work together with the governors of Hiiraan and Middle Shabelle regions in collaboration with the Federal Government to mobilise emergency relief to victims of the floods in Beletweyne.
Prime Minister Hassan Khaire dispatched a team of Ministers and Assistants Saturday to mobilise humanitarian aid to the affected families most of whom have been evicted from their homes.
Meanwhile several families continued moving out of villages in Beletweyne to higher grounds Sunday as the floods continued.
The Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) said last week the flooding will like continue into the end of the month noting flooding will be experienced in Beletweyne as the Shabelle river breaches its banks.
“As of 22 October, the river level at Belet Weyne is at 7.8m which is about half a meter short of the full bank level,” FAO noted adding over bank spillages from minor tributaries passing through Belet Weyne town have caused flooding leading to displacements of a significant number of households.